Long before we grow up and find someone to love and share our lives with, our first loves are our parents. And reading with a parent is something that most adults remember doing. Sharing a book together is a truly wonderful way to grow and keep that bond of love between you and your child. With the help of Alice, Wendy, Gill, Adele, Emma, Cliona and Rosalyn, I have compiled 14 reasons why
Love is … reading together
- It’s one-on-one no-distraction quiet time.
- Snuggle time at any time of the day but especially at bed-time.
- A chance to re-read the books you loved as a child.
- You are helping your child to learn about reading and the world around them.
- You witness the joy that stories bring to them. From their eyes lighting up when they choose a book to hearing them join in with stories.
- Your children can experience fantastical worlds with you.
- Stories together lead to questions which lead to conversations.
- It’s fun; especially if you use different voices for all the characters or act out the stories together.
- Reading stories encourages imaginative play and soon your little ones will be making up their own stories.
- Re-reading school books together helps with their learning and shows them you are interested in and supportive of their lives.
- Reading books together will help your child understand what he/she likes; fiction or non-fiction.
- Choosing a book with a message is a wonderful way to teach without preaching.
- You can watch them copying you as one day you’ll discover them quietly reading to their dollies and teddies. I promise you, your heart will melt.
- It makes for the calmest, snuggliest bedtimes.
If you’d like to join in with book-y chats, head over my Facebook page Kindness Book Club.